Your Wedding Planning Checklist
Planning a wedding? Today. the ladies of Sincerely Yours Events are breaking down the wedding planning process into a simple and straightforward timeline. If you're a bride planning your dream wedding, this timetable will let you know what to expect and how to be prepared along the way!
We get a lot of questions and most of them are around timing! We also do a lot of our work with the modern DIY Bride, who has planned her wedding and just needs help from us. It is so much fun to come into the process to give advice, share ideas and really help the day come alive. In honor of our love of to-do lists, timelines, and checklists, here are some of our suggestions for what to expect along the way!
- Finalize the menu and flowers. It’s best to wait to finalize these items until this time because you will want to see what will be available, since food and flowers are affected by season. How can we help? We can help you make edits to your menu to get the right combination of appetizers, main course offerings, and fun side dishes to compliment! We love “pulling it all together” and we can absolutely help you nail down your menu and also select the right floral arrangements to make the room come alive.
- Order favors, if desired. Guests love sweet treats or a treat that represents your city or region! Get creative, and always make it feel like YOU! If you’re planning to have welcome baskets for out-of-town guests, plan those now too. Guest baskets are an opportunity to give guests a feel for what to expect at the wedding, or a great way to treat your guests to fun aspects of the city! Have fun with these! Guess what? We are extremely creative, and can offer help here for what would fit the style and feel of the wedding weekend.
- Make a list of the people giving toasts. Which loved ones would you like to have speak at the reception? Ask them now! We will be right behind you helping find the perfect time for those special people to speak at your wedding.
- Finalize the readings. Determine what you would like to have read at the ceremony—and whom you wish to do the readings. If you need suggestions for readings, please ask!
- Purchase your undergarments. Yes that’s right, we said undergarments! Nobody wants to be stuck with something they do not love or the dreaded underwear line or a bellybutton shadow! While you are at it, schedule your second fitting. We cannot help you much here. Note that we do care, because well, we are ladies!
- Finalize the order of the ceremony and the reception. We always encourage our couples to really put a lot of time and thought in here. It is so important to have a meaningful ceremony and a well thought through reception. Fear not, this is an area we thrive in and can help you through the whole thing. We are your timeline wizards and we love order with no chaos. We have got your back here, but we want our couples to have an idea of what they want most here.
- Print menu cards, if you like, as well as programs. No need to go to a printer, if that’s not in your budget: You can easily create these on your computer. Hello Target paper section! We can help point you in the right direction!
- Purchase the rings. This will give you time for resizing and engraving! This part, is all you.
- Meet with the photographer. Discuss specific shots, and walk through the locations to note spots that appeal to you. We will be there to support the photographer with their requests, and we will build a good portion of the timeline around them!
- Review the playlist with the band or DJ. Though you probably won’t be able to dictate every single song played, you should come prepared with a wish list! We will grab your thoughts here, and make sure your requests are honored.
- Send out those gorgeous invitations. The rule of thumb: Mail invitations six to eight weeks before the ceremony, setting the RSVP cutoff at three weeks after the postmark date. If you wish to have your invitations addressed by a calligrapher, this is someone you will want to find at least 3 months out. They will need advanced notice, and they can tell you how many extra envelopes to order. Also, make a trip to the post office to purchase “The Love Stamp!” These stamps are just an extra special touch for your wedding invitation.
- Enjoy a bachelorette party! Arranging a night out with your girlfriends generally falls to the maid of honor. But if she hasn’t mentioned one to you by now, feel free to ask—for scheduling purposes, of course!—if a celebration is in the works. As fun as these are, we cannot help much here! We can offer fun places to eat and enjoy a drink with your girlfriends though!
- As your guests begin to RSVP, enter RSVPs into your guest-list database. We encourage our Brides to have a designated person (not family member) who can phone people who have not yet responded. We can be that person for you, if you wish. We can also help manage RSVPs in our system, if that is something you would like for us to help you with!
- Make it legal - get your marriage license! The process can take up to six days, but it’s good to give yourself some leeway. If you are changing your name, order several copies!
- Mail those rehearsal-dinner invitations. If you need locations for this, we can help!
- Visit the alterations shop for what could be, your LAST fitting! For peace of mind, you may want to schedule a fitting the week of your wedding. You can always cancel the appointment if you try on the dress then and it fits perfectly. During this fitting, have someone take a video of your dress bustle. We recognize this may sound weird, but it helps us to see the video so that we can see how your dress works. One thing that can de-rail a schedule is a dress bustle. We want it smooth and quick!
- Share the final count! All heads accounted for? Now, stock the bar and relay head count to appropriate vendors who need to know the final number! Almost all vendors will need to know the final headcount as soon as you have it. We will want it to help with floorplan construction and vendor management.
- Send out as many final payments as you can. We can also distribute these on the wedding day for you, so you and your family do not have to worry about making sure all vendors are taken care of. We will confirm final times for hair and makeup and all vendors. Another bonus: we will make a separate hair and make-up schedule too!
- Detail transportation and parking. E-mail and print directions for drivers of transport vehicles. This gives the chauffeurs ample time to navigate a route. Think through parking for your wedding! This is a great time to share with guests to allow for extra time for parking if the spaces are limited or hard to come by!
- Create a floorplan. Assigned seating? We can help here. We are floorplan masters and can show you all of our tricks to getting everything just right! One month out is the perfect time to do this because you have your final headcount and have done a recent walk though of the space with us!
- Design a program. time to decide how you want these to look and even who you want to distribute them! These are also easily made online or at home! This is another area that we show off our creativity!
- Decide on a guest book. This has a ton of room for a creative, personal touch! Ask us to share our work here, because we do love us a good guest book!
- Purchase bridesmaids’ gifts! If you are having a Bridesmaids Luncheon, this is great time to shower your favorite ladies with some love!
- Write vows! We LOVE those sweet vows!
- Get your hair cut and colored, if needed!
On our end, we really take over at this point. We are now the point of contact for your vendors! Less communication volume to you, usually means less stress, and that is our goal! If we have not done a venue walk through with you by this point, we will do one about a month out!
- We will reconfirm arrival times with vendors.
- Bride: come up with a small wedding-day task list. Us: delegate and knock those tasks out!
- We will send a timeline to the bridal party (it will be broken down by group: bride’s timeline, groom’s timeline, parents, etc.).
- We will want a list of every bridal party member’s contact information! Trust us, we have used this contact information in some way, at every wedding we have coordinated.
- Pick up your dress! Or make arrangements for a delivery.
- We will check in one last time with the photographer and supply him or her with a list of moments you want captured.
- Set aside checks for the vendors. And put tips in envelopes to be handed out at the event. We usually get these checks from you at the rehearsal, and we will distribute to all vendors on your behalf.
- Treat yourself: Book a spa treatment. We wish we could come to this!
- Make an appointment for a manicure and a pedicure the day before the wedding. (You might want to get a stress-relieving massage, too.)
- We will send the final guest list to the caterer and all venues hosting your wedding-related events. Typically, companies close their lists 72 hours in advance.
- Take some time to break in your shoes. In the event you get a blister, we come prepared to handle this!
- Assemble and distribute the welcome baskets!
- Pack for your honeymoon!
And just like that, we are at The Big Day! We always tell our Brides that there are also many other details in a wedding that we naturally attend to, and we love to make those details happen. Our goal is happy, relaxed and smiling faces at the wedding. You will love working with us (both of us are at every event, yes BOTH!), and we promise that you will have a warm, perfect, fun and unforgettable experience working with this duo! We would love to chat with you about your wedding!
There you have it! Everything you need to know to plan the perfect Savannah wedding. Sincerely Yours Events is giving away free day-of coordination services to one lucky reader! All you have to do is 1. Follow Savannah Soiree and SYE on Instagram and 2. Comment and tag three friends to be entered to win! Must have a wedding date to enter.
We'll announce a winner on Thursday!
Savannah Wedding Vendors: Photography: Beschell Photography